In the Papers too...

More cuttings from the newspapers, which contain a reference of some sort to East Winch or West Bilney.....




On Friday Inquisition was made by Mr E.A.Wilkin coroner, at the Maid’s Head, East Winch, into the circumstances attending the death of Charles Morton. Aged 36 years, who on the previous Wednesday was run over by a wagon and killed.

The first witness called was George Morton, of Pentney, labourer, who said his brother was in the employ of Messrs. Smith of East Winch, where he lived.

Charles Mason, of East Winch, a teamman in the employ of Messrs. Smith , said that at about 11.15am on Wednesday morning the 9th inst. He went to Lynn with a load of barley, Morton accompanying him with another load of barley, to be delivered at Messrs. Bowkers granary. They finished delivery and passed the chapel clock in Lynn on their homeward journey about 4.30. Witness went through the South gates first . Morton following about 30 yards behind. Witness was quite sober; his companion had had some beer, but was quite capable of doing his work.

At the water trough, near The Prince of Wales Inn, witness watered his horses, but Morton went ahead, although his horsed had had nothing to drink since they left East Winch that morning. When witness started again the other wagon was about 100 yards ahead, and he did not catch it up until arrival at Middleton, where the team was standing outside the Crown; Morton came out of the house and offered the witness a drink out of a mug of beer.

A person named William Wing, who had ridden on witness’s wagon, ordered three twopennyworths of whiskey for three of them. After about five minutes delay, the journey was continued, Morton and his team being in front. There was no seat in front of Morton’s wagon, and when he left the Crown he was walking on the nearside.

Nothing occurred until within half a mile of East Winch, when witness saw Morton lying on the road, the wagon and team still going on. He was lying straight along the wheel-track, with his head towards East Winch and his feet towards Lynn, and there was a lot of blood by his head. Witness looked at him, but did not touch or speak to him, but ran after the team and took it home, and returned in about half an hour’s time. He left Wing remaining in charge of his (witnesses) team, but when he returned he saw that Wing had gone, and deceased had been shifted to the side of the road.

As witness was coming back he met a man called Stamford in charge of the team, which witness tied up to the fence, and both of them proceeded towards Morton, and saw a man named Vincent standing beside him. It was about 6 o’clock when witness took the deceased’s team home. In answer to the jury, witness said he had no lights on his wagon, neither had Morton. He heard Morton call out, but did not see him until nearly on to him. It was a dark night. Both wagons were empty. Whilst he was watering his horses he saw Morton get upon the shafts of his wagon, which was the right place, in the absence of a seat. When he overtook Morton’s wagon the reins were tied upon the near side on the back of the wagon.

William Wing of East Walton, a labourer in the employ of the district council, said he rode on the wagon with the previous witness. Morton was riding, whether in the wagon or on the shafts he could not say. And both teams were trotting the best part of the way to Middleton. When they left Middleton Crown Mason was sober; Morton was not quite sober, but witness did not notice it until he “stood” the whiskey. When about half a mile from East Winch, the leader of Mason’s team suddenly pulled off the road, and Morton was seen lying on the ground. Mason went after Morton’s team, and witness remained in charge of the other horses. He saw Morton in a pool of blood, lying along the near track of the road. He spoke to him but got no reply, and the only noise was the gurgling of blood in Morton’s mouth. Witness did not touch him but remained by his side until the arrival of Postman Bailey, whom witness assisted in placing Morton on the side of the road. Later another man came and took charge of Morton’s horses, and then witness went home.

Luke Bailey. of Lynn, postman who has only one arm said that whilst driving along the road with his mail-car, and when about a quarter of a mile from East Winch, he saw by the light of his cart lamps, a wagon and team going along the road with no-one in charge, but Mason was running after them. About a quarter of a mile further on he saw another wagon, standing still, and Wing shouted: “Stop: there is a man killed”

Witness handed one of his cart lamps to Wing, and then examined the injured man, discovering that his pulse was beating rapidly, and whilst witness was endeavouring to lift him up he groaned. Witness, having only one arm, asked Wing for help to move the man to the side of the road, but Wing refused, and witness had to do so alone. He got Wing to procure a sack from the wagon, and this witness placed under victim’s head and made him as comfortable as possible; but when witness again felt his pulse it had ceased to beat. He remained with the body until Stanford came up, and witness told him that the body would be left in his charge, because he (witness) must go on.

Stanford, however, went away with the wagon, and witness then asked Wing to stay, but he refused and went away, leaving witness with the body. He stopped as long as he dared, but eventually he had to leave with his mail, because he was overdue at Middleton.

P.C Herbert Mehew stated that about 6.15pmon Wednesday, being informed by three little boys that something had occurred on the road, he proceeded thither, and was overtaken by Mr Smith who was driving. He found Morton’s body on the roadside, the head resting on a sack; and there were several people standing by. He helped Mr Smith to get the body into the cart, which brought the body to where it now lay. He examined the body but found no marks of violence except on the head, which had terrible cut over the left eye, and another at the back of the ear, also one on the side of the chin. Such injuries would be consistent with a wheel passing over the head. Deceased had £2/15/0 ½d besides a watch and chain, tobacco , &c.

The Jury returned a verdict to the effect that Norton died from injuries received by having accidently fallen from the wagon, the wheel of which had passed over his body: and they added a rider to the verdict expressing their appreciation of the conduct of Postman Bailey.

The Coroner reprimanded Mason and Wing for their conduct, and declined to allow them any costs for attending the enquiry.



A Fatal Accident



At the Crown Inn yesterday (Thursday) morning, Mr. R A Wilkins, coroner, conducted an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of William Arthur Arter, aged 29, a coal merchant, who met his death under very sad circumstances on Tuesday night.

He was engaged in removing the refuse from the vaults of the Town Houses to the allotment ground at the entrance to the common. He had just led the horse which was a somewhat spirited animal through the common gate when it bolted, and he was dragged under the heavily laden iron tank and pinned to the ground. He expired instantaneously.

Louisa Arter, widow, said Wm. Arthur Arter was her son. He left a widow and four children.

About 10.45 they were going to the allotments to empty the tank. Arter was leading the horse and asked witness to open the gate and not to bang it when he closed it, as the horse was very nervous. The horse became restive, and bolted. It did not go through the gate. Arter was knocked down and fell in front of the tank, and he was dragged in front of the tank for about 18 yards before the horse pulled up. Witness tried to get Arter from under the tank but he was unable to do so. He then said to Arter: "Are you hurt much?" but received no reply.

Witness then took the horse off, and again tried to extricate Arter, who was pinned down tight between the ground and the tank. P.c. Marshall was the first person to come to witness's assistance, and others followed. They unloaded the tank, after which they succeeded in releasing Arter, but it took some time to do so. Arter was quite dead and witness believed that he was dead when he (witness) first spoke to him after the accident. They conveyed the body to the Crown Inn stable.

P.c. Marshall said that about 10.40 pm on Tuesday he met Arter leading his mare, which was attached to a water cart, with his right hand. The previous witness was walking by the side carrying a lighted lamp. The tank was full, and it made a lot of noise as it went along the road. The mare was walking briskly.

Arter said "Goodnight, Mr. Marshall" to witness, who replied "Good night William." They were going in opposite directions.

After witness had walked some 300 or 400 yards he heard his name shouted. He recognised the voice of the previous witness and ran back shouting, “What is the matter?". Berry shouted back in rely, "Billie Arter is under the cart and I believe he is dead". Witness found Arter pinned under the tank and he and Berry cleared the dirt out of his (Arter's) mouth. Their efforts to extricate Arter were futile, as the front axle was pressing heavily on the centre of his chest.

They secured help and tried to lift the tank off Arter, but they found it necessary to empty the tank before they could extricate him. He was then quite dead and they conveyed the body to the Crown Inn stable.

Witness and Mr. Neale stripped the body. They found several scratches on the hips, two large punctured wounds on the back of the head, and the chest was pressed in. By this time the body was getting cold and witness saw that it was useless to send for a doctor, as Arter was quite dead and crushed up.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that Arter was crushed to death by the cart going over him. They passed a vote of condolence with the widow and family in their bereavement.

(See also the story of Billy Arter - the son of William and Nellie)

The Great War

August 8th 1914

East Winch

Harvest is in full swing. The general report among the farmers is that there will be an average yield, good in quality.

The girls who arrived a fortnight since, under the auspices of The Childrens Country Holiday Fund, returned to London Thursday laden with flowers and other produce from the gardens in the parish. In consequence of the war trouble it has been decided by the organisers to suspend sending out any children this year.

October 17th 1914

East Winch

A substantial quantity of preserves has been forwarded, from the parish to Chelsea Hospital, for the use of the soldiers in that institution who are recovering from their injuries sustained at the front.

An exceptionally interesting lecture on missionary work in British Guiana was delivered at the school on Tuesday evening by the Rev. F. Welch on behalf of the Society for the Propagation of The Gospel.

There was a good attendance. The Vicar presided.

July 1915


Red Cross (Bilney) Hospital. It has been my privilege, following the example set by Colonel and Mrs Herring, to entertain the wounded soldiers from Bilney.

At a game of Bowls, between their side and ours, the contest ended in a tie. I am ordered by the Matron (Mrs Critchley Martin) to express the thanks of the soldiers for the eggs, 150, donated through Mr Haydon, by the schoolchildren at Narborough and Narford. Even the common and domestic fowls, the hens at any rate, are commandeered in these trying times.

November 5th 1915


MILITARY AUXILIARY HOSPITAL. The Commandant wishes to acknowledge with thanks the following gifts to the hospital:-

Cigarettes, Miss Childs and Miss Chapman; apples, Miss Knight, Miss Coulton, Lady Elizabeth Taylor, and Mrs Thompson. pears, Mrs de Pass, Mrs Fielden and Mrs Allen; ten pheasants, Sir Somerville Gurney; six pheasants, Mr.Rennie; rabbits, Lord Romney (3 lots), Mr. Rennie and Col.Herring; vegetables, Sir W.Lancaster, Mr.Rennie and Mrs.Richard Tallent; seven brace partridges, Mr.Everington; grapes, Mrs Wilson and Mrs Betton; eggs. Miss Groom, Gayton and Gayton Thorpe parishioners (60); hares. Mr. Storey; subscriptions, Colonel Trotter and Mrs Jessup.

Several subscriptions have also been received for Christmas plum puddings.

The Commandant would be much obliged for gifts of cigarettes and tobacco.

A meeting of No.12 detachment was convened on Friday, 29th October, when many members and others interested in the work of the hospital at Bilney (now to be called a “military auxiliary hospital) were present. Mrs Gawne lent her drawing room for the meeting and provided tea. Mrs Critchley-Martin (vice-president and commandant) presided.

Among others present were Mrs Lee Warner, Miss Wilson, Mrs Champion, Mrs St. John Dall, Mrs Lenton, Mrs Dennis, Mrs Cooper, and Mrs Christopherson. It was unanimously agreed to send a letter of condolence to Mrs Elizabeth Paylor on the death of her son and Mrs Gawne (divisional secretary), was requested to write it. The commandant read a report on the work done since the hospital opened in March.

Expenses were discussed and many offers of help were given and accepted. It is quite likely that the accommodation will be increased to 20 beds. Fifteen patients have been in hospital most of October, and the hut which was erected has proved most convenient and satisfactory.

The Lynn and County Hospital and Bilney House Red Cross Hospital recently have had three entertainments, two in Lynn and one in Narborough, which were the work of Miss Herring, and brought in quite a good round sum. The Piece de Resistance was a Play written by a clever lady amateur authoress, who was fortunate in having her work presented on the stage by such able interpreters. These were Miss Herring, Miss Nina Stolterhoft, Miss D Thursby, and Miss S Hutton-Sams, Mr. S.S. Gibbons, Mr.T.Winfield Heale, and Mr. C. F. Boughey. All were delightful, and carried the Plot through with a swing and well-sustained interest. Let me add that the Entertainments were under the patronage of everybody who was anybody in West Norfolk, and were supported by all the nobodies whose purchase of tickets added to that filthy lucre, without which even Hospitals cannot be kept going. But the fountain and source of this whole eminently successful effort to bring gist to the two mills was “our Miss Herring”. “O Lady live for ever!”

Miss Herring has kindly supplied with the following figures:-

Albert Berry, of East Winch, labourer, said that at 10pm on Tuesday he was working for Arter, and they were engaged in emptying cottage vaults. They were using a four wheeled iron water cart with a capacity of 100 gallons for the purpose. The wheels were about a foot high, so that the bottom of the tank would be about six or eight inches from the road, and the axle was lower than the bottom of the tank.

*This included Tea and Programmes, £4 2s, & £2 19s 2d handed in by Canon Vawdrey, and cheques from the Countess of Leicester, Holcombe Ingleby Esq.,M.P., and J.Ramsden Esq,

** As announced by advertisements, this total was divided as follows:-

£63 19s 5d to Lynn Hospital, and £10. 5s 3d to Red Cross Hospital, and handed to the respective Treasurers of these Institutions.



From THE LYNN NEWS September 30, 1941

Motor-Vehicle Blamed for Cyclist’s Death

WIDESPREAD police inquiries and a Press appeal for information failed to solve the mystery of the death of Sampel Arthur Barrett (56), a gardener, who was found lying dead near his smashed bicycle at Midnight on Saturday Sept.6, at East Winch.

At the resumed inquest at East Winch last Tuesday, the Lynn District Coroner (Mr. Donald F.Jackson) returned a verdict of “Death from misadventure.” He found that Barrett died from a fractured base of the skull caused when he was thrown from his bicycle, as the result of a collision with an unknown vehicle.


The Coroner said the police had an almost hopeless task to find the vehicle concerned. The khaki coloured bolt and other small parts found by the police at the scene of the accident suggested that it was an Army vehicle.

The Coroner and Police-Insp. D. Aldis, of Grimston (who represented the county police) acknowledged the assistance given by the Press in publishing an appeal for information after the adjourned inquest on the 9th inst.

At the first hearing evidence was given by Dr. Charles Devlin (Grimston), who said that the cause of death was a fractured skull; Walter \Frederick Adams(44), horseman, East Walton Rd, East Winch; Ralph Burman(38), farmer Hall Farm, East Winch, who found Barrett’s body; and Acting P.s. Beere.

On Tuesday Elijah Woodrow, The Meadows, Narborough, said he had lent Barrett a bicycle lamp to go to Lynn.


A member of the Home Guard, Bert Taylor Lynn Rd, East Winch, said that at 11 p.m he was near the main road, when he saw Barrett cycling towards East Winch with a front light and a dim rear light. Later when his son told him of the accident he confirmed that it was the same man. Between 10.30pm and midnight that night there had been a continual passage of traffic, mostly military, in that direction.

Chris Parnell, farm foreman, Lower Farm East Winch, said he saw a man walking and wheeling a bicycle about 150 yards on the Lynn side of the church. The man was walking close to his near side and said “Good night” apparently in quite a normal condition. He thought it must have been Barrett. Immediately after he had passed, three or four Army trucks and motor-cycles went by, travelling in the same direction, but, said Parnell he heard no crash or anything to indicate that there had been an accident.


The New Village Hall – 1958

From a newspaper report of the opening of the new Village Hall.

About 150 people – a quarter of the population of East Winch and West Bilney – were present at the opening on Saturday (September 13 1958) of East Winch’s new village hall. The ceremony was performed by Viscountess Althorp.

It has taken 17 years, two chairmen, three secretaries, three treasurers and about £3000 to get the hall planned, built and furnished. Nearly half of the cost, £1440, has been raised in the village – after an inauspicious beginning when an enthusiastic opening meeting contributed a retiring collection of only 3s.4½d (about 17½p).

Several changes of plan have delayed the erection of the hall, made necessary by the loss of the Church Hall in a fire in 1938. It was at first hoped to build it on the common, midway between East Winch and West Bilney, where the village cricket team plays, but the complication of common ownership prevented this.

Soon after the war, a Nissen hut was bought, but erection was found to be too expensive and it had to be sold again. Finally, after several committee changes the land for the hall was leased for a nominal rent from Capt. G G Elwes, and building began last November (1957).

The money raised by functions in the village, many of them in a barn, was supplemented by a grant from the Education authorities and a £600 interest free loan.

The hall is to be administered by a committee of trustees representing church, sporting and other organisations in the village and Mr R Burman, the chairman, said that he hoped many new organisations would spring up and be represented on it.

See also the story of the first village hall - The HUT

It would be quite possible now for the village to have its own Women’s Institute and Over 60s club and a youth club. There was sufficient land at the back for two tennis courts.

In her speech at the opening ceremony, Lady Althorp, who was introduced by the secretary, MR V L Hulbert, congratulated all those who had contributed to the building of the hall.

A village hall should be the centre of community life and a place where people could find company and enjoyment outside their own homes, she said. It must be satisfying to have created a place of such lasting value both for themselves and their children.