Public Services

Here are shown some links to websites, with telephone numbers in some cases, which may be useful

Please note that East Winch and West Bilney Community project are not responsible for any content on the sites to which links are provided.

If you find that any of the links are broken and do not lead you to the site, please Contact us

Community Bus Service
 Click on paragraph 10.2 - Dial-A-Bus -  in the contents list to the left.
 Living independently in later years- Living Independently in Later Years
A directory of services for those over 65 years and living in West Norfolk
See more here or go directly to LILY

Local Services
(East Winch and West Bilney) see here


Norfolk Police

In an emergency
                  Telephone 999
and ask for POLICE


The non emergency number, 101, is now in use throughout England and Wales; When calling the number, the telephone system will recognise where you are and connect you to the local police in that area.

Calls to 101 are free of charge.

To access the service if you have hearing, or speech, difficulties dial 18001 101
Remember -

otherwise, for non urgent matters, for example anti social behaviour, theft, damage and so on
                  Telephone 101

Local Police


In an emergency
Telephone 999 and ask for Coastguard


In emergency
Telephone 999 and ask for FIRE SERVICE


In an emergency
Telephone 999 and ask for AMBULANCE
if you need medical help or advice urgently, but not in a life threatening situation
                 Telephone 111 (Calls to this number are free - both from landlines or mobile 'phones)

when the Medical Centre is closed                                        


The non emergency telephone number, 111, is now in use throughout England and Wales. Call this number when requiring urgent, non life threatening, advice, or when the local medical GP practice is closed.
Calls are free to this number.

Remember -
                      Telephone 111  

Tel 01553 613613
Post code: PE30 4ET
Tel 01553 769770
Post code: PE30 4HJ


Norfolk Safeguarding Children Partnership.
These are difficult times and families are under huge pressure - we are here to help.
If you hear something or see something that makes you feel worried about a child living nearby, please let us know

Tel.0344 800 8020

General Practioners:

Grimston Medical Centre

Telephone     01485 600341      

Post code:    PE32 1DW
Systm Online
To log in to make an appointment, order prescriptions etc. Note that you need to have registered with the Grimston Medical Centre before you can log in to use this service.
For the GP out of hours service - that is when the Medical Centre is closed -  Telephone 111
Remember -
You can also access this facility from the practice website - see link above.

Narborough Surgery

The Maltings Narborough

Telephone     01760 337821

Marham Surgery

The Street - Marham

Telephone      01760 337394

Post Code:     PE33 9HP



Priority Services Register.
A register of customers who would be particularly vulnerable during an electrical power cut is maintained.
If you are dependent on medical equipment, are chronically sick or are disabled, blind /visually impaired etc. you may apply to be placed on the register. You may then be able to access additional support at times of power cuts.

APPLY -  e-mail

TELEPHONE 0800 169 9970

ONLINE - Apply here
Power cut - Telephone 105 direct (free of charge) - or online

Alternatively go direct to the local network operator  (UK POWER NETWORKS) who can give you help and advice.

Telephone 105 or 0800 31 63 105

Text 'POWER'
and your post code to 80876

To be kept informed about power cuts in your area and when it will be restored, add your details here

Anglian Water

To inform us about potential sewage pollution issues, problems with mains supply, leaks and other water related problems.
Telephone 03457 145 145


As of 1 October 2016, many private pumping stations automatically transferred over to Anglian Water and became their responsibility, including  all of the maintenance and the running costs too, saving customers hassle, worry and money.

If you have such a pumping station you should register it with Anglian Water.


        Pollution, main supply leaks, sewerage etc:

        Telephone 03457 145145

 Frozen / Burst pipes


Member of Parliament
James Wild MP                 
House of Commons, London, SW1 0AA

Borough Councillors - Gayton & Grimston Ward

King's Lynn & West Norfolk Borough Council - here
Mr Andrew De Whalley
The Cottage
5 Chequers Road
Grimston PE32 1 AJ
07770 273903

Mr Colin Manning
11 Rectory Close
Roydon  PE32 1AS
07885 258932

County Councillor - Gayton & Nar Valley - Elected 4 May 2017
Mr G R Middleton

Norfolk County Council - here

81 Wisbech Road,

Kings Lynn,


PE30 5LA

07946 309655   E-mail:

Parish Council     Parish Councillors
Mr R Pannell -
21 Baldwin Road, King's Lynn,
Norfolk PE30 4AL
Telephone: 01553 775724    E-mail:

County Council
    Find out about services available from Norfolk County Council.


Text: - 07767 647670

Fax:- 0344 800 8012    Telephone:- 0344 800 8020

Post:- Norfolk County Council, County Hall, Martineau Lane,
  Norwich NR1 2DH

To find out, online, about Community services such as , school admissions and transport, roadworks, concessionary travel, blue badges, park and ride or adult education -
(NOTE: Waste disposal/recycling and the wheelie bin service is a matter for the BOROUGH COUNCIL - see below or click here)

The ONESTOP telephone number for all services is 0344 800 8020

 A new service is provided by the County Council -
"Tell us once and we'll tell the rest..."
 A service intended to make it quicker, easier and cheaper, to inform  government agencies about family events - for example births and deaths. Tell the County Council of the event and they will pass on the information to such as the DVLA, The Passport Office, the Benefit Agency.  More information at "Tell us once....

LILY is an online directory to help adults in west Norfolk get involved in our community. Search LILY online for advice, organisations and things to do, or to browse Lily's categories.

Norfolk Community Directory. contains activities, services and groups to help all Norfolk residents live healthy, active and fulfilling lives - see here

Registration Offices -To make an appointment to register a birth or death in any of our registration offices in Norfolk you can book an appointment here at any time, or call 0344 800 8020 Monday to Friday 9am–5pm.

Winter-related information.
The Norfolk County Council website will continue to make winter-related information available  - see Norfolk Winter 
This includes links to useful information and advice on other websites.
The ONESTOP telephone number to call for all of the above is 0344 800 8020

 School closures check to see if your child's school has been closed due to weather etc. School closures

Trading Standards - consumer advice

West Norfolk Borough Council

The Borough Council    For all general enquiries please contact: The Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk, King's Court, Chapel Street, King's Lynn, Norfolk, PE30 1EX,
Tel: 01553 616200, Fax: 01553 691663, Email:
- this will go to the Council 'Home' page - scroll to the foot of the page and see option to select a service

Benefits Advice and Review Team: 
Advice about claiming benefits and form filling is available from a Borough Council team. Telephone 0800 731 2253 (8.45am to 5.15pm -  Mon - Thurs. and 8.45am to 4.45pm on Friday. or e-mail: More information here

Norfolk Handyperson Service
- is able to provide services to improve home security, minor electrical  and plumbing work, general minor repairs.The service is provided by the Borough Council in association with Norfolk's Home Improvement Agencies, to those aged 60 or over, or those suffering from long-term health or disability problems.
Telephone 01553 616371

Waste re-cycling. Find your nearest re-cyclng point  -
or telephone 01553 776676

Post Office

Ashwicken Road, East Winch  PE32 1LJ

Telephone: 01553 840538

Opening Hours:   Note NO lunch time closing

The Village Store adjacent to the Post Office opens for the same hours as shown here

Sunday closed


























To see details of the
Home Library Service, the Mobile Library Service, and opening times of the main Norfolk libraries at King's Lynn and Gaywood, go to  Libraries
Automated Library Services, including book renewals - Telephone 0344 800 8006


School closures
The web site shows which schools in the county are closed for any reason -                 snow / ice for example. You may also telephone 0344 800 8020 for information.
For the first time there is a subscription service to receive a notification, by email or text, when a specific school is closed. E-mail contact is free - text messages are charged at 25p per message.

Coronavirus - how it is affecting bus services. See the link to a document giving the latest information about the changes that have had to be made to services as a consequence of the current Coronavirus situation.
March 2020.

Public transport


        Traveline - a link to local public transport information - or telephone 0871 200 22 33                                 (NB: 12p/minute call charge)


West Norfolk Community Transport (WNCT) provides a variety of specialist accessible door-to-door transport. Our Dial-A-Bus services takes people to area market towns; another separate service that we also organise involves volunteer car drivers for people to attend their health-related appointments, whether to local GP Surgeries or regional hospitals.

Your local Dial-A-Bus will remain viable if enough people continue to utilise that service.

From East Winch,
on a weekly basis, Dial-A-Bus runs two buses each Tuesday and another on each Friday.

You may ring our Dial-A-Bus office on 01553 770310 and we’ll provide further details about our free membership, times, fares and any other related information.       

The website is hereSee more information poster here


Note that Stagecoach no longer runs services from King's Lynn. This link will however show advice on alternative services.

Covers the routes that Stagecoach no longer do. Telephone 01553 611955.

Telephone 0345 646 0707
Includes the Norwich - Peterborough service
Telephone 03300 539358

Telephone 0345 045 5213 (Passenger Transport Services CC1301)

Parking - Peterborough       (Park & Ride not available).


Telephone (National Rail) 03457 48 49 50

Great Northern Trains to King's Cross

Greater Anglia  Trains to Liverpool Street


Norwich International Airport    Telephone 01603 411923

Waste Recycling


From 1 April - 30 September; 9am - 5pm - 7 days a week, including Public Holidays

From 1 October - 31 March;    9am - 4pm - 7 days a week, including Public Holidays



With effect from 1st. April 2018 the charges will be made at Saddlebow Recycling Centre for the disposal of DIY waste.

DIY waste
From 1 April 2018 there will be a charge for all DIY type construction and demolition waste. You will no longer be able to take one large item or up to 80 litres of DIY waste for no charge.
You can still dispose of all household waste free of charge at any of the County recycling centres.
Some frequently asked questions are shown below and you can read the press release about this change in policy.

DIY waste guide prices
Cost per item or per 80 litre bag or equivalent:
    Rubble £3.00
    Timber £3.00
    Non-recyclable waste £5.00
    Metals Free

You can dispose of flat glass, plasterboard and tyres at Saddlebow
    Plasterboard £9.00 (£15.00 at Mile Cross Recycling Centre)
    Tyres £4.00 per tyre
    Flat glass £5.00

At the recycling centre:-
When you arrive speak to one of our advisors who’ll assess your load and give you a price. They’ll take your payment before you unload your waste.
We only accept card payment for amounts over £10. For amounts under £10 we’ll accept cash, except at Mile Cross where we only accept card payments.
You’ll pay less if you separate your waste – the charge for separated materials is lower than mixed loads which are classed as non-recyclable.
Our advisors may ask to inspect any materials you want to dispose of in the non-recyclable bins. This helps us maintain our high levels of recycling and so we can refuse any hazardous waste.
Any decisions made by our advisors about DIY waste are final.

**What is DIY waste?

DIY construction and demolition waste that will be charged for from April 1 2018:

  • Timber - including kitchen units, fitted furniture, doors, laminate flooring and floorboards, sheds, fence panels, decking, garden structures
  • Rubble - including sinks, toilets, bricks, concrete, stones, tiles
  • Flat glass - including glass from windows and doors, greenhouses, shower screens
  • Plasterboard - all plasterboard and plaster
  • General waste - including roofing felt, plastic guttering, fibreglass insulation.

Council website relevant page is here
Council Press release about these charges is here

Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste includes any waste item that needs specialist disposal, such as paint, thinners, fertilisers or gas.

Most hazardous waste products, including paint, cannot be accepted at our Main Recycling Centres.

To view an extensive list of items which are not accepted at The Willows re-cycling centre click here

You can find specialist hazardous waste disposal contractors listed  in your local telephone directory or online. Remember to ask to see a Waste Carriers Licence and find out where the waste will be disposed of.

For more information about disposing of hazardous waste click here

For items which cannot be accepted at Recycling Centres, your local Borough, City or District Council may offer a collection service for household hazardous waste, but may charge – click here for the contact details for your District/Borough or City Council.

If no collection is available specialist contractors can dispose of waste accordingly.

You must dispose of your household waste responsibly.

Disposing of hazardous waste incorrectly is illegal and may harm the environment.

From time to time the County Council has an 'AMNESTY'; this allow for hazardous waste to be taken to the re-cycling centre for disposal - free of charge.

The Willows recycling centre at Saddlebow ( PE34 3RD ) is open to receive domestic waste for recycling at the following times:-

October - March:   9am - 4pm:       April - September:    9am - 5pm:

The centre is open daily except on Christmas day, Boxing day and New Year's Day.

Items that are in good condition - 'too good to put in the bin' - may be donated to the shop for sale, on the right as you enter the site. Check with the operator whether they want to take it from you. Note however that electrical items are not acceptable; such items may not be sold from the shop.

Most waste for recycling that cannot go into your GREEN wheelie bin may be taken to the centre - but see the box above about the improved service available from 1 October 2014. Note that different materials are placed in individual bins at the Saddlebow recycling centre - sorting your waste before you deliver it is advisable.

There are some restrictions on the amount that may be taken there, and commercial users are subject to charges. Waste delivered by trailer or van may be considered to be 'commercial'.

See the Borough Council website for more details - KLWNBC web site.

LIQUID PAINT is no longer accepted; waste paint that has solidified can be accepted.

For more information about disposing of paint see the County Council webpage

A detailed A - Z list of what may and may not be taken to the Saddlebow recycling centre may be seen here

Trade waste service.

Small businesses and charities may now dispose of their 'Trade Waste' at Saddlebow recycling centre. This service will be charged for and is part of a package of changes intended to make the council's recycling network more efficient.

To find out what can and cannot be disposed of and the charges for doing so  click here

Waste Disposal - Bulky Items     

THE BOROUGH COUNCIL provides a low-cost, 'bulky household items' collection service to help you get rid of any unwanted items that are too big to put in your bin. The quick and simple to use service is available to all domestic properties in West Norfolk.

For £31  the Council will collect and dispose of up to three large unwanted items from your home. Additional items may be collected by arrangement.There is no limit to the number of items you can dispose of, but additional items will be charged at £10.50 each.

Call 01553 776676 to arrange a suitable date and to pay the bill.

There are some restriction on what may be collected - For more information go to the KLWNBC web site.

UNWANTED furniture and electrical items,

Do you have unwanted items in good clean condition to dispose of ?

Call the   British Heart Foundation - telephone 01553 334879 (the King's Lynn store) to book a free collection or 0800 250 0030 or book online at BHF.

The BHF will collect beds, tables, chairs/sofas, TVs, washing machines, fridges etc. at no cost. These goods may then be sold through the shop in King's Lynn High Street. Note however that there are some items that BHF cannot take - they will advise on this.
BHF will also offer a house clearance service - though charges may apply.
The British Heart Foundation is a registered charity - No. 225971.

Alternatively you may use 'Freegle' to list items, online, for interested people to collect from your home - go to Freegle for more information. Everything is offered for free!

For information about the normal household 'Wheelie Bin service please click here

Note: is not responsible for the content found at any of the above links, they are provided here solely as a service for parishioners. In some cases there are other providers available.
Subpages (1): County Council